At the end of each school half term I have made a promise to myself to look back on how I am finding blogging so far. This will help me smile at the good stuff that has happened, but also make me consider if the blog is worth the time that I am spending on it.
So far, so very very happy. I am definitely going to stick around a little longer. A few reasons for this joyous joy:
- I’ve met some lovely people – real flesh people and blogospheric people.
- I am happier now I have something in my life I enjoy doing just for me. And I really don’t feel guilty about that at all. Ha.
- I’ve got a real place to focus thoughts and ideas that have previously spent decades flying aimlessly around my befuddled brain.
- I’ve had some really nice assurance that things are going OK: from individuals who know what they are talking about; to Mumsnet making a couple of my posts their Blog of the Day, and putting one more on their front page; to Tots100 making one of my posts one of their Good Reads. Thank you.
- I’ve had the opportunity to enter a few competitions where I have rediscovered writing poems – something I haven’t done since I was 15, when I wrote horrible things about no doubt lovely teachers.
- I’ve had so much help from WordPress, Britmums and Netmums and their forums, that the whole techy side has so far gone quite swimmingly (cue loss of everything I have ever blogged).
I’m spending a bit too much time on things that I am not sure really matter to me – some of the social media tools for example. Also, I need to improve my writing and get more confident with my ‘written voice’, whatever that may be! I am going to address that in the New Year. In the meantime, I have summarised how I have found my first three months as a blogger into the song below.
I was going to do a YouTube video of me singing it but I chickened out – I look like crap, and I cannot really sing. Sorry about that. Nevertheless, here are the lyrics. Sing it to the tune of, “Winter Wonderland”. Send me a verse of your own if you fancy.
Enjoy it, have a Merry Christmas, and happy blogging.
Blogging in a Blogging Wonderland
Three months ago
Life was not thrilling
Had gained top billing
But then I turned on my Mac
And without glancing back
I started blogging in this blogging wonderland
Check page view stats
Most of the time
I’ve got no Kred or Klout
Page Rank is equal to nowt
But I’m still singing in my blogging wonderland
Twitter is still proving time consuming
Got three likes on Facebook – one is me
Google+ remains perpetually confusing
And Instagram and Pinterest leave me at sea-ea-ea
WordPress, Mumsnet, and Tots 100
Netmums, Britmums, all these I’ve plundered
For some cracking advice
To improve my blog life
So far so lovely in my blogging wonderland
And ain’t it nice when someone ‘likes’ or makes a comment
On words and phrases you have crafted carefully?
Stats ain’t sky high but now is not to the time to lament
Those who find me tend to quite like what they rea-ea-ead
Now each time that I press publish
It gives new hope my blog’s not rubbish
Someone new follows me
And I declare, gleefully
I’m sticking with it in my blogging wonderland
Thank you for wand’ring in my blogging Wonderlaaaaaaaaaaaannnddd [BIG FINISH}